Monday 4 June 2012

Yellow Iris and Purple Shamrock

At last..! My yellow iris is making its debut appearance in my garden, after 6 long months of waiting..
Thank God for that :)
I almost gave up on this plant. Glad I didn't. The flowers are so beautiful.

This is how it looked like on the first day.
It opened during the day and closed towards the evening. That was it. Dropped dead the next day.

















Also known as the "Walking Iris" due to the bending over of the flowering stalks to the ground and take root from there. The iris appears to be "walking" as it propagates. A spectacular view once it fills the garden with graceful foliage and flowers. Since I'm planting them in a broad base round pot, I hope to see it do the  walking :)

Then comes the second bloom the very next day.
This photo was taken when the iris was curling up, retiring for the evening before dropping dead. Very short life, just for a day.



Here's also flowers which bloom everyday from my purple shamrock plant. Simply lovely flowers with lilac touch to it.


Commonly known as the 'Butterfly Plant' due to the shape of the leaves.


The Purple Shamrock plant


These flowers open during the day when the heat was intense and close up in the evening. The cycle repeats the next day on the same flower for a couple more days, unlike the yellow iris above which lasted only one day.

God works in mysterious ways, they say...so true :)



Scientific name is Oxalis Triangularis


See also my earlier write-up on purple foliage plants :)

4 comments:

  1. I love the delicate looking flowers. Did you see the leaves closing down to sleep at night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Simply awesome! I saw your night picture too. Wahh, you really go to the trouble of shooting them while sleeping :) Truly, this is an amazing plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have many clumps of the yellow walking iris but not the purple shamrock. My irises are walking all over my garden. However I do not find them invasive as they are easy to cull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yellow iris makes nice decor in any garden, that's for sure. There are rows of them in my condo courtyard. Do you mean you don't have purple shamrock at all? I could send you some rhizomes as I have plenty now. Let me know ya :)

      Delete

Thanks for your lovely words...